Briton Ferry Llansawel secure promotion to the Genero Adran Premier with play-off win over Llandudno

Briton Ferry Llansawel secured promotion to the Genero Adran Premier as they defeated Llandudno 4-0 at Latham Park.

Between them in their respective leagues, Briton Ferry and Llandudno have scored an astonishing 135 goals, but early on, neither could find a way through.

The Genero Adran South side saw more of the ball and dictated the tempo early on, but their Northern counterparts were more than happy to sit back and hit on the counter.

The first notable opportunity came halfway through the first period. Lucy Powell’s corner dropped onto the head of Lowri Ridings, but the Ferry captain saw her effort cannon back off the crossbar.

A flurry of half chances came and went for Rhys James’s side too. Alison Witts and Meg Kearle saw shots go over the crossbar from set pieces, as Ferry fought to find the opener.

There were no notable opportunities from the Dudno perspective. Ella Jones and Maddie Williams tested the backline of Briton Ferry a couple of times but had no successes to write home about. A half of frustration for both teams ended goalless.

James’ side came out with the grit between their teeth at the start of the second half and started to accumulate chances once again. Witts thought she had put her team ahead, when her strike from 35-yards looked destined to nestle in the corner, only for the inside of the post to deny her. Moments later, Laura-May Walkley thought she had put Ferry in front, but Megan Robinson made a fine fingertip save.

However, they weren’t to be ruled out any longer, as the two-time South champions broke the deadlock. Kearle’s hanging corner found the head of Witts, who glanced into the bottom corner, and started wild scenes behind the goal from the Ferry faithful.

Llandudno tried to work their way back into the tie but were finding it difficult to break down a stout defence led by captain Lowri Ridings.

Their task was made harder when the deficit doubled 20 minutes from time. Once again, Kearle’s corner caused problems, and this time, her delivery found the unmarked Walkley, who powered into the bottom corner. Now with a two-goal lead, James’ side were tantalisingly close to completing their journey to the top.

Not only would Llandudno be two goals down, but they would also be a player down in the closing stages. Stacey Tradewell went through the back of Walkley, leaving the referee no option but to brandish a second yellow card.

Chasing the game, Llandudno were stretched, and they handed Ferry an opportunity to score, as Walkley was brought down in the area. Penalty awarded. Up stepped Witts, but Robinson made a superb save to tip onto the post and out for a corner.

Yet, from the resulting corner, Briton Ferry did find their third. Powell sent it into the box this time, and Witts managed to get the faintest of touches on the ball before it bounced into the goal.

The champagne had been on ice for large parts of the second half, but the corks were popping in added time as Ferry found a fourth. A slack goal kick was capitalised on by Fleur Jenkins, who stormed into the box and fired past Robinson.

After last season’s heartbreak, Briton Ferry returned to the same venue, but this time, they left victorious, and were promoted to the Genero Adran Premier.

Learn more from FA Wales

Sign up to receive all things FAW, from team news, tickets, domestic, grassroots, to exclusive offers and prize draws.

We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data – view our privacy policy by clicking here.