JD Cymru North round-up | Airbus stage second half comeback to maintain top spot

A second half masterclass from Airbus UK Broughton saw the JD Cymru North leaders come from behind to defeat Llandudno 5-1 on Friday night. 

The Wingmakers trailed at half-time after Alex Boss had put Llandudno ahead in the 32nd minute, but turned the game around in the opening 15 minutes of the second half with two almost identical goals – Joe Palmer heading home a Jordan Evans corner on both occasions.  

Tyler McManus then got a brace of his own, before 17-year-old Kaiden Cooke added a fifth goal for the visitors in the dying moments. 

Airbus are still just two points clear at the top of the table after second-place Holywell Town secured their 11thstraight league win by triumphing 3-1 over Mold Alexandra at Alyn Park on Saturday. 

Jamie Breese’s ninth-minute penalty set the Wellmen on the way to victory, while the ever-dangerous Jake Cooke added a second in the 56th minute, 

Jake Roberts halved the deficit for Mold just a minute later, but Holywell made sure of the three points as Breese netted his second penalty of the afternoon in the 66th minute. It was a frustrating afternoon for the Alex, which resulted in a red card for assistant manager Mike Cunningham after the full-time whistle. 

Third-place Flint Town United left it late against Gresford Athletic on Friday night as substitutes Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Harley Brindley-Peagram scored to seal a 4-2 win for the Silkmen at The Rock. 

It was 1-1 at the interval after Elliott Reeves cancelled out Haci Ozlu’s opener, but Dom Deacon fired Gresford back in front in the 74th minute to put Flint on the ropes. 

However, Reeves scored his second of the match to level the scoreline once again before Akpa-Akpro rose above everybody to guide home Jake Phillips’ corner in the 90th minute – just two minutes after coming off the bench. 

Things got even better for the away side in the fifth minute of stoppage time as Brindley-Peagram’s stunning 35-yard lob over Lewis Dutton wrapped up the win. 

The highest-scoring game of the weekend came at Bastion Gardens as Bangor 1876 edged out Prestatyn Town 4-3.

JD Cymru North top scorer Corrie McGonigle set up Corey Jones and then converted a penalty as the visitors quickly moved into a two-goal lead before Alec Williams halved the deficit for the Seasiders in a frantic opening 15 minutes. 

Luke Wiltshire found a Prestatyn leveller one minute before the break and the hosts completed a remarkable turnaround when Tyler Joyce put them 3-2 ahead in the 48th minute. 

But Bangor then staged a comeback of their own as January signing Dale Davies scored his first goal for the club by heading home Joe Culshaw’s cross, before Mason Blackwell-Jones beat Prestatyn goalkeeper Joe Lawlor with a stunning effort from outside the area in the 73rd minute. 

Buckley Town moved seven points clear of danger by coming from a goal down to win 3-1 away at Porthmadog. 

Danny Brookwell celebrated his birthday in style by scoring a third-minute opener for Port, but three second half goals from the Bucks turned the game around. 

Josh Allen equalised from close range in the 55th minute, player-coach Asa Hamilton came off the bench to put his side ahead with 10 minutes remaining with a clinical one-on-one finish and Liam Driscoll wrapped up the points after capitalising on a defensive error in stoppage time. 

Defeat leaves Port still in the relegation zone, four points adrift of safety with just four matches remaining.

Denbigh Town produced a tremendous second half display to defeat already-relegated Chirk AAA 6-1 at Central Park on Friday night, as Josh Lock scored a quick-fire hat-trick. 

Paul Fleming’s deft finish gave the home side the lead in the 21st minute, but they were quickly pegged back by Chirk’s top scorer Max McLaughlin, who was on hand to tap home the rebound from Jack Edwards’ initial effort. 

Lock restored Denbigh’s lead in the 52nd minute and he had completed his treble just 15 minutes later, with Matthew Worrall also finding the net in that period. Worrall volleyed home his second goal of the night in the 90th minute, marking his 50th appearance for the club in style. 

Iwan Matthews starred as Guilsfield ended their six-match winless streak with a 4-1 win over strugglers Llanidloes Town at Victoria Park. 

The Guils burst into a two-goal lead midway through the first half as Matthews set up Izaack Lambert and then Reece Warder, before finding the net himself to make it 3-0 at half-time. 

Luke Boundford scored his first goal for the Daffs to give them a glimmer of hope in the 66th minute, but Adam Worton’s late own goal restored Guilsfield’s three-goal cushion as they climbed back into the top half. Llanidloes are 16 points adrift of safety with nine games to play. 

Also ending a six-match winless streak were Caersws, who ran out 2-1 victors against Ruthin Town at the Memorial Playing Fields on Saturday afternoon to move six points clear of the relegation zone.  

Craig Williams and Harry Cottam both scored inside the opening 23 minutes for the Bluebirds, which proved enough to gain three points despite Osian Davies’ late consolation. A straight red card for Tom Dyer in stoppage time summed up Ruthin’s frustration. 

JD Cymru North results 

Denbigh Town 6-1 Chirk AAA
Gresford Athletic 2-4 Flint Town United
Llandudno 1-5 Airbus UK Broughton
Llanidloes Town 1-4 Guilsfield
Prestatyn Town 3-4 Bangor 1876
Mold Alexandra 1-3 Holywell Town
Porthmadog 1-3 Buckley Town
Ruthin Town 1-2 Caersws

Learn more from FA Wales

Sign up to receive all things FAW, from team news, tickets, domestic, grassroots, to exclusive offers and prize draws.

We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data – view our privacy policy by clicking here.