JD Cymru South round-up | Briton Ferry go top as Llanelli Town slip up

The JD Cymru South title race took another twist on Easter Monday as Briton Ferry Llansawel returned to the top of the table by capitalising on a Llanelli Town defeat. 

Lee John’s side were beaten 2-1 away at Goytre United, which ended their three-match winning streak. 

Teenager Eduardo Bregua, on loan from Penybont, scored his first goal for Goytre with a spectacular volley to open the scoring in first half stoppage time. 

Danny Williams equalised for Llanelli just after the hour mark, but Dan Paul struck the winning goal for the hosts with 10 minutes left on the clock. 

Later in the day, Briton Ferry earned an emphatic 3-0 home win over Trefelin to go a point clear at the top of the standings. 

Ferry didn’t take long to break the deadlock as Corey Hurford crashed home a stunning effort from outside the box after just three minutes.

Luke Bowen doubled the lead at the start of the second half with a calmly converted penalty before his strike partner Tom Walters grabbed his 14th goal of the season with a superb strike. 

Ferry can now win the JD Cymru South title with victory at home against Ammanford in the next game on Tuesday 9 April. 

Llantwit Major moved three points clear of the relegation zone with a comfortable 4-0 win over already-relegated Abergavenny Town, inspired by Cian Williams’ hat-trick. 

Ioan Emanuel’s penalty six minutes before the break opened the scoring, while Williams netted twice in 16 minutes to earn the Major a comfortable lead midway through the second half. 

Abergavenny defender Aaryn Campbell was sent off for a foul in the box in the 82nd minute and Williams stepped up to convert the penalty and complete his hat-trick. 

Pontardawe Town remain in the relegation zone but earned a potentially crucial point thanks to Josh Dorward’s late equaliser in a 3-3 draw at home against Cwmbran Celtic. 

Ponty drew first blood after just nine minutes at Parc Ynysderw as the visitors failed to deal with Nathan Osborne’s long ball upfield, which allowed Mike Morris to slot home. Tom Meechan equalised for the away side seven minutes before the break, but Morris completed his brace early in the second half to restore the lead. 

Josh Hinwood made it two goals apiece in the 73rd minute, which was shortly followed by a second yellow card for Ponty defender Iwan Batcup. Celtic made the most of the numerical advantage as in-form striker Alex Bonthron scored from a corner.

Bonthron could have sealed victory for Celtic but he was unable to convert an 85th-minute penalty, and his miss was punished two minutes later as Dorward equalised at the other end. 

Garry Taylor’s side are one point adrift of safety but have two games in hand over 13th-place Taffs Well, whose poor form continued with a 2-0 defeat at home to Cambrian & Clydach Vale. 

Keiron Coles found the breakthrough on 50 minutes with his first league goal of the campaign before Tim Parker capitalised on a defensive mistake to double the visitors’ lead on the hour mark. 

Caerau Ely staged a stunning second half comeback to come from two goals down to triumph 3-2 over Afan Lido at Cwrt yr Ala Road. 

Liam Griffiths’ penalty and Ieuan Owen’s 14th league goal of the season saw Lido go into the break with a two-goal advantage. 

Substitute Brandon Griffiths pulled a goal back for the hosts on 68 minutes and they were level 12 minutes later when captain Jack Ashford scored from the penalty spot. There was late drama as the winning goal arrived in the 90th minute courtesy of Tom McLean. 

It is now nine consecutive league games unbeaten for the Young Guns, who will have hopes of a top six finish in their first season back in the second tier. 

Tom Davies’ quickfire double wasn’t enough to give Baglan Dragons all three points against Carmarthen Town as both sides shared the points in a 2-2 draw at Evans Bevans. 

Carmarthen took the lead in the 17th minute as Brad Gibbings made it two goals in two games with a stunning strike from distance. 

However, Davies scored twice in first half stoppage time to turn the game around for the Dragons. First he slotted beyond Lee Idzi from the penalty spot, before he fired in a shot that struck both posts before eventually finding the net. 

The hosts held onto their lead for the majority of the second half, but Lewis Rocke’s header in the 80th minute saw the contest end level. 

JD Cymru South results 

Baglan Dragons 2-2 Carmarthen Town
Caerau Ely 3-2 Afan Lido
Llantwit Major 4-0 Abergavenny Town
Pontardawe Town 3-3 Cwmbran Celtic
Taffs Well 0-2 Cambrian & Clydach Vale
Goytre United 2-1 Llanelli Town
Trefelin 0-3 Briton Ferry Llansawel

Learn more from FA Wales

Sign up to receive all things FAW, from team news, tickets, domestic, grassroots, to exclusive offers and prize draws.

We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data – view our privacy policy by clicking here.