JD Welsh Cup: Round 4 recap

Flint Mountain’s fairytale JD Welsh Cup run continued with a narrow 2-1 win over fellow Ardal Leagues side South Gower at Park Hall.

Mike Hayes’ near post finish and Rob Hughes’ penalty had Mountain in a comfortable place up until visiting striker Alex Giardelli halved the deficit with ten minutes to go. 

However, Aden Shannon’s side were able to hold onto their lead to reach the quarter-finals for the first time in their history and also become the only third tier side left in the competition. 

JD Welsh Cup holders The New Saints cruised through to the last eight with a 3-0 victory away at Carmarthen Town. 

Jordan Williams opened the scoring in the 18th minute with a powerful strike into the bottom corner but the hosts pressured Craig Harrison’s side and posed a threat in search of an equaliser. 

Yet the Saints eventually found another past through Lee Idzi as Josh Pask fired home from the edge of the area in the 71st minute and they added a third goal three minutes later as Jordan Marshall set up Danny Davies at the back post. 

Goalkeeper Kelland Absalom amazingly got his name on the scoresheet as last season’s runners-up Bala Town produced a dominant first half display to sink Caerau Ely 4-1 at Cwrt yr Ala Road. 

Absalom grabbed the opening goal for The Lakesiders as his long ball up field completely outwitted the home side’s goalkeeper Harry Johnson. 

Four-time cup winner Aeron Edwards doubled the lead after finishing from Josh Ukek’s cross before Bala’s top scorer George Newell made it three by prodding home from Naim Arsan’s corner. Arsan then got on the scoresheet himself with a sublime 25-yard strike which found the top corner to round off an exhilarating first half from Colin Caton’s men. 

Young Guns captain Jack Ashford pulled a goal back for his side after the break, but ultimately the damage was already done as Bala’s quest to lift the trophy for the first time since 2017 continued. 

Alex Lang was the penalty shootout hero for Cardiff Met as his two saves secured the Archers’ place in the last eight at the expense of Haverfordwest County. 

The tie finished 1-1 in 90 minutes after Lewis Rees got his second goal against the Bluebirds this season to cancel out Martell Taylor-Crossdale’s opener. 

In the shootout, Harry Owen, Emlyn Lewis and CJ Craven all converted for Met with Rhys Abbruzzese and Kai Whitmore scoring for The Bluebirds before Lang made a brilliant diving save to deny Taylor-Crossdale. 

After Rees slotted home his penalty, Lang came up with another save to deny substitute Jack Wilson and win the shootout for Met. 

In the weekend’s televised tie, Connah’s Quay Nomads dispatched local rivals Flint Town United 3-0 at The Essity Stadium on Saturday evening. 

A fifth-minute Anthony Stephens own goal was all that separated the two sides for just under an hour before former Silkmen Jack Kenny and Kai Edwards slotted past Josh Tibbetts to give Neil Gibson’s side comfort. 

It was a dominant performance from The Nomads despite tough weather conditions as they continued their fine record in Flintshire derbies to reach an impressive eighth consecutive JD Welsh Cup quarter-final. 

Luke Bowen’s 52nd-minute strike secured a 1-0 victory for Briton Ferry Llansawel against fellow JD Cymru South side Llanelli Town at Old Road on Friday night. 

The veteran striker produced a composed finish to find the net after Adam Robbins and Scott Coughlin failed to deal with a long ball. 

The visitors pushed for an equaliser throughout the majority of the second half, but a tremendous defensive display from Ferry saw them reach the last eight for the second consecutive season. 

After a disappointing run of results in the JD Cymru North, Buckley Town produced one of their performances of the season to edge past Porthmadog 2-0 at Y Traeth. 

Callum Humphries, who scored Buckley’s winner in the third round against Llanuwchllyn, found the net again after heading home at the back post in the 51st minute. 

Liam Driscoll added a second for Asa Hamilton’s side just after the hour mark as he fired home from Dylan Roberts’ pull back. 

JD Welsh Cup round four results:

Briton Ferry Llansawel 1-0 Llanelli Town
Caerau Ely 1-4 Bala Town
Carmarthen Town 0-3 The New Saints
Colwyn Bay P-P Barry Town United
Flint Mountain 2-1 South Gower
Haverfordwest County 1-1 Cardiff Met (2-4 on penalties)
Porthmadog 0-2 Buckley Town
Flint Town United 0-3 Connah’s Quay Nomads

Watch the JD Welsh Cup quarter-final draw on RedWall+ at 8pm on Wednesday 13 December.

Learn more from FA Wales

Sign up to receive all things FAW, from team news, tickets, domestic, grassroots, to exclusive offers and prize draws.

We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data – view our privacy policy by clicking here.