Trethomas Bluebirds Crowned Dragon Signs Amateur Trophy Winners

Trethomas Bluebirds celebrate winning the 2022/23 FAW Amateur Trophy Final fixture between Denbigh Town FC & Trethomas Bluebirds AFC at Latham Park, Newtown, Wales, 29 April 2023

Trethomas Bluebirds were crowned Dragon Signs Amateur Trophy winners with a 2-1 victory over Denbigh Town at Latham Park.

Charlie Loss put the Bluebirds ahead in the first half before captain Tomas Rutherford doubled their lead seven minutes before the break.

Ben Lockley halved the deficit on the hour-mark to setup an exciting last 30 minutes, but Denbigh were unable to find a late equaliser as the Bluebirds lifted the trophy.

Both sides enjoyed early opportunities in Newtown, but it was Trethomas who took the lead inside the 22nd minute. Thomas Gameson got on the end of a loose ball before slipping a ball through to Loss, who took a touch and fired beyond Denbigh goalkeeper Aaron Jones.

Gameson could have doubled their advantage just after the restart but he was only able to divert Jake Walker’s cross straight at the goalkeeper.

Denbigh came within inches of drawing level when defender Andrew Evans almost diverted Nathan Brown’s free-kick past his own goalkeeper, only for the ball to sail just wide of the post.

The Lock Stock Ardal North West side continued to push for an equaliser and enjoyed a succession of corners on the half-hour mark but failed to make their pressure count.

Denbighs Craig Pritchard and Trethomas' Andrew Evans during the 2022/23 FAW Amateur Trophy Final fixture between Denbigh Town FC & Trethomas Bluebirds AFC at Latham Park, Newtown, Wales, 29 April 2023

And the Bluebirds doubled their lead seven minutes before the break as captain Rutherford got on the end of substitute Levi Rees’ cross to finish off a well-worked move.

Mark Dunford’s side were in control at the break and should have added a third early in the second half when Alfie Jones was sent through on goal. The forward was only able to fire straight at the goalkeeper, with substitute Adam Raymond left waiting for a cross in the penalty area.

The goal would have put the Bluebirds within touching distance of getting their hands on the trophy with 30 minutes left on the clock, but Denbigh replied on the hour mark. Brown’s corner to the back post picked out Lockley, who headed home to stage an exciting ending.

Brown almost brought Denbigh level when his goal-bound effort from 25-yards forced a fingertip save over the crossbar. Walker then showed individual brilliance to bring down a long ball forward and break through on goal, but saw his low effort go just wide of the far post.

Trethomas thought they had restored their two-goal lead with 13 minutes left on the clock when Rees fired home before the linesman raised his flag for offside. Dunford’s side were forced to soak up late pressure from Denbigh as Nathan Brown and Lockley both enjoyed chances, but they were unable to send the game to penalties as the Bluebirds lifted the trophy.

Learn more from FA Wales

Sign up to receive all things FAW, from team news, tickets, domestic, grassroots, to exclusive offers and prize draws.

We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data – view our privacy policy by clicking here.